Wednesday, August 10, 2005

More God Fearing (or Loving) Stats

In an earlier post, my cohort McCoy alluded to some statistics presented in a Sam Harris article. I did a quick search to verify some of these numbers (I couldn't, but I didn't try very hard) and ran into some more mind-numbing statistics. Here's a smorgasbord of statistics compliated by ReligiousTolerance.org. If you're a rational person, I warn you, some of them are frightening.

What are the percentage of people in 2001 that believe the bible is totally accurate: 41%.

The percentage of adults that believe God performs miracles: 84%

The percentage of adults that believe that the miracles in the Bible actually occurred: 79%

The one surprising and heartening stat on the page: the percentage of the American population that consider themselves "non-believers" is rising.

You can find the page with these figures and other religio-centric stats here.