Friday, September 09, 2005

Exorcising Reason

David Edelstine of Slate has a hilarious, sardonic review of what looks to be an assault on our wallets and our rationality, The Exorcism of Emily Rose. The themes of this movie are just too good to divulge, so you have to check out his review. But here's a taste of Edelstine's delicious septic wit:
In fairness, I should disclose one thing: I was born at 3 a.m. Could it be that the devil put me on this earth to raise objections to movies like The Passion of the Christ and The Exorcism of Emily Rose? As I mulled this over in the screening room, about an hour into the film, a priest sat down in the seat next to me, and I felt a sudden, demonic urge to strike him. In my defense, this was because his cell phone was going off. But still: It might have been Satan on the other end of the line, reaching out to me. I resisted, though. I'm not on any medication.