Saturday, September 03, 2005

Inappropriate

President Bush...he just doesn't get it. I really couldn't believe he made a joke after the abysmal failure of the federal response to Hurricane Katrina.
Here's what I believe. I believe that the great city of New Orleans will rise again and be a greater city of New Orleans. (Applause.) I believe the town where I used to come from, Houston, Texas, to enjoy myself -- occasionally too much -- (laughter) -- will be that very same town, that it will be a better place to come to. That's what I believe. I believe the great state of Louisiana will get its feet back and become a vital contributor to the country. (my italics)
President Bush strikes the requisite somber tone in the aftermath of a tragedy.

You really have to wonder what the faces of his speech writers look like after such insensitivity, however good intentioned it may be. Every time I think about it, I imagine a look of horror cross their faces as their hands go to their breast pocket for the flask buried within.