Friday, July 28, 2006

What Television Can Be

I'm watching Bill Moyers' on Faith and Reason right now. This is television at its best. I say this in full disclosure that I worked as his personal researcher and production assistant for about two years but, Jesus, this is amazing. Tonight is agnostics Margaret Atwood and Martin Amis. It is truly refreshing to hear intelligent people discuss God and religion skeptically but reaffirming that this pursuit, when humble and honest, confirms a humanity worth preserving.

As anyone reading this blog regularly knows, I'm not a believer. I'm quite against religion and all its noxious waste, but I do agree the search for God is worth every ounce of energy. What I was left with after my hunt was my isolation and utter minuteness. Liberating. There is only one intelligence you answer to in this world ultimately: yours.