Monday, August 22, 2005

Fundamentally Unbelievable

Pat Robertson, the uber fundamentalist, looks at Jesus sitting there on the cross and then, well, he looks the other way, disregarding his whole social gospel. Here's his call for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez via Kevin Drum over at my old haunting ground, The Washington Monthly.
I'll be damned. Pat Robertson really did call for the assassination of Venezuelan president Hugo Chávez. Via Media Matters:
You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go ahead and do it. It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war....We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability. We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator. It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with.
Excuse me for a second while I peruse my Bible. Was there a part I missed where Jesus taught the parable about killing people who make trouble for you?
Is there anything to do other than laugh this insane hypocrisy off? He does have a lot of oil, though. Hmmmmm. I have been told that it was God's cruel joke that most of the oil of this world was hidden underneath earth cursed by brown people. Oh Jesus, save us from this tragedy.